What is a Funeral Program?
The funeral program (sometimes called a funeral obituary program, funeral brochure, funeral pamphlet or funeral order of service) is the printed program that is given out funeral services or memorial services that outlines the funeral or memorial service and summarizes the life achievements of your loved one. Funeral programs and memorial programs can also be sent electronically, through email or posted to social media. Funeral programs can also be mailed to those who cannot attend the funeral service.
Funeral programs contain what is called an obituary. Funeral obituaries are life stories, accomplishments and public notifications about recently deceased people and they may have several different versions. While a newspaper obituary might be short and focused on survivors and funeral service information, the obituary in the funeral program can be longer and tell a more detailed story. It is the centerpiece of the funeral program, which can serve as a very informative keepsake about a person’s life and also about the final services.
Funeral Programs normally contain the following:
- Funeral Program cover photo, name, birth/passing date, funeral service location/dates/time.
- Funeral Program Order of Service
- Funeral Poems, scriptures, pallbearers, acknowledgments, etc.
- Memorial Photo collages
Funeral Programs are usually laid out as follows:
- Funeral Program Front Cover (usually contains a photo, name, dates and service location)
- Funeral Program Inside Left (usually contains the obituary)
- Funeral Program Inside Right (usually contains order of service)
- Funeral Program Back Cover (usually contains poems, pallbearers, acknowledgments, photos, etc.)
Depending on the size and number of pages you select for your funeral program there will be room for tributes, photo collages and anything else you may want your funeral program to contain. All our funeral programs are completely customizable, so you can add or remove anything you want from the funeral program template.